About Me

My photo
Hi my name is Paulette Matteson. This is my first blog and I am excited to see how all of this works. I live in Aitkin, MN and work at Rippleside Elementary in the Learning Center. I love children and my job. I have four children ages 30, 28, 19, and 17 and two grandsons who are 4 and eight months. I am really looking forward to working with all of you. It should be a great summer semester.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Early Start is a Good Start in Math

        I am always amazed at how much children learn as they start building their foundation in the concepts of math. Preschool education is one of my greatest joys and teaching all of these concepts is so important in building that foundation. The Standards for Math Education for preschool through second grade are made up of five Content Standards and five Process Standards.

Content Standards                                                    
1. Number and operation                                            
2.Geometry and spatial sense                                       
3. Measurement                                                          
4. Patterns, functions,and algebra                                
5. Data analysis, statistics, and probability                   

Process Standards
1. Problem solving
2. Reasoning and proof
3. Communication
4. Connections
5. Representation

        All these standards for content and process are interconnected and interwoven throughout the curriculum in designing mathematical experience for young children. Developmentally Appropriate Practice is the key to quality mathematical education for three to six year-old children. Children at this age love to learn and explore. All we have to do is give them the right tools to use for their exploration. Math explorations can be something that is done all through the day from counting crackers at snack to making a chart on the weather. Math can be explored during play in games and activities. Children can explore math through literature and learn as they manipulate objects and create relationships among and between objects. When I stop and think about how different math is for elementary students now I realize how important building that foundation is in the preschool years.

Here is a video on preschoolers learning geometry.

.


No comments:

Post a Comment